Monday, November 24, 2008

Thankfulness

Blogs are addictive. I now have six that I check daily for updates - my sister, Brian's co-worker beginning motherhood through adoption, a woman with four kids under the age of 4 - one of whom is a miracle baby who was born healthy a few weeks ago but was not supposed to even live to be born because of problems with his heart, a local man in the military stationed in Afghanistan, a local family and fellow church member who lost their home to a fire, a woman I briefly knew but still call a friend who lost her 2 hour-old baby this spring, and her brother-in-law who lost his 3 month-old to SIDS just a month later. The strangest part of being a silent observer to these people just journeying through life? The traces of God's Hand I can see in each one. Their fear is suddenly turned to joy and gratitude in His Miracles. Their grief is turned to wonder as they slowly see His Plan and His Purpose. Their pain is turned in to a story that is slowly becoming a new ministry for Him to care for the lost souls who are undergoing the same agony. In even the most fresh and agonizing of their stories, I can see God slowly working in their hearts. They are slowly surrendering their sorrow and finding joy in life once more as they lean on Him and His Promises and they learn that He is still good.

But there was one in particular that grabbed me today. A father still reeling from the loss of his son was attempting to understand why God would want us to be thankful IN everything and FOR everything that happens. I don't blame him - I'd have a hard time talking to God, much less thanking Him if I had woken up one morning to find my newborn son gone. I am choked up even thinking of the idea of losing my son.

But it made me think. It made me spend my day pondering thankfulness. There are some easy things that I am thankful for - my home, my family, my job. But what about the little things? What about the things I spend my day complaining about? So that's what I decided to do: make a list of the reason why I am grateful for the things I would usually grumble, whine or complain about.



1. My messy house. I am thankful for the hours I have to put in attempting to organize and clean because it means we not only have enough, but we have MORE than enough.
2. My piles of laundry. It means we have more clothes than some will ever have in a lifetime.

3. My dirty dishes. It meant we had enough food for all of us to enjoy during our three meals of the day.



4. My cranky 2 year old who refused to pose for a picture by the Christmas tree. Because I HAVE my cranky 2 year old when I know a Dad grieving for the son he will never see reach that age. I can hold my son and rock him and play with him whenever I want (or, rather, when he allows me to!).

5. My crazy 8 year old who wouldn't stop getting in my way as I tried to put the lights on the Christmas tree. Because I have a crazy 8 year old who loves me so much that she wanted only to please and help me, and is so full of joy and excitement that she could barely contain herself.

6. My new van that I really can't afford and that will require Brian to continue to work three jobs for a very long time. Because I actually qualified to buy a car during the time of a credit crunch this country hasn't seen in a long time. And because I now own a beautiful van that I love and that has a great warranty that will mean we won't have any $1,000 car repairs any time soon. I no longer have to worry every time I get behind the wheel. Not only that - but I HAVE a great van when there are those who have no mode of transportation at all.

7. My husband working three jobs and the nights that I am home alone to take care of the kids. Because my husband will return home and my single-motherness is limited to only two nights and one morning a week. Because he has jobs that will cover all of our bills and we don't have to pick and choose which ones to pay. Because he is a sweet soul who has a willing heart to care for his family by working so hard.

My list could go on. In fact, it has gone on throughout the day. By the end of the day, I found myself counting my blessings for every time I had a complaint come to mind. God is so good! Not only do I see the traces of His Hand in the lives of these people as they post to their blogs every couple of days, but it makes me see the trace of His Hand even more in my own life. I can see how He has cared for us, how He has blessed us, how He has protected us. I certainly don't deserve it.

So now I challenge you. What are you grateful for that you normally would only complain about? The clothes that don't fit? The fact that you can't lose weight? The house repairs? The friends who won't let you off the phone so you can get back to work? Your to-do list? The hour-long commute? Try changing your perspective on life's problems. Re-tool your thinking. Change your attitude. And, most of all, remember that God is good!

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow! That's very powerful, Amanda, and the timing is so great. I'm hoping that I can help G&G pull this up on their computer when we're there for Thanksgiving. We all can use the reminder to let God change our perspective on the things we ordinarly complain about. I'm going to try it; I think it will be an eye-opener for me.

julie said...

Does this mean I have to be thankful for heartburn, aching muscles and a belly the size of a tuba? ;-)

No, seriously, I AM thankful for all those things because they mean I've been incredibly blessed with a healthy pregnancy and a precious baby girl. That's an excellent way to look at things, Amanda.

Amanda said...

Shoot - I'M thankful that you have all those "awful" things, Julie! It means I get a sweet little niece!