Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Song on My Heart

I just recently noticed something.

No, it's not the gray hairs that are suddenly multiplying on my head! I first noticed them 2 years ago (about the time Will started walking).

No, it's not the fact that my daughter is suddenly hormonal. I think I've been seeing that gradually for the past year or so. And I'm terrified to think of what that means!

What I'm suddenly starting to notice is a song in my heart. Well, it's not necessarily in my heart. It's in my mind. Playing constantly. I hear it play throughout the day while I'm working. I hear it play as I drive. I hear it play while I'm getting dinner ready and putting the kids down to bed.

Actually, I guess it's not surprising that I have a song constantly playing in my head. I've ALWAYS had something playing. I can remember songs entertaining me throughout my day since I was a little girl. So it's not surprising to know that a song is playing.

Instead, it's surprising to realize there is a theme going on. I think my songs have always played according to my moods. Sad, slow, melancholy ones when I'm thoughtful, sad or depressed. Loud blaring ones when I'm mad. Happy ones and playful ones when I'm in a good mood.

Lately, though, I've noticed a new trend. Hymns. Praise Songs. Spiritual Songs. Songs of Praise and Worship. I guess I've always had them playing up there and never really paid much attention to them. As I said before, it's normal for me to hear a song playing.

What I'm suddenly noticing, though, is that these special love songs to and about our Lord are constantly playing up there on certain days. Specifically, they are playing on the days I choose to spend my morning reading my Bible, praying to Him, and trying hard to be quiet and let my mind and heart listen for His Voice.

What I'm also noticing is that those songs disappear when I choose to let my day become too busy to make that special time for Him. Sure, other songs appear just as they always did before. But what's so special to me is the fact that on the days I choose to spend time with Him, my songs in my head become my songs from my heart. My heart music.

My heart music loves to sing praises to Him. Some days are quiet Hymns. And some days are full of rejoicing Praise and Worship. Regardless of the song, the theme is the same. It's about my Lord. It's about my Father.

I'm suddenly starting to realize what the Bible means when it says that we should pray continuously and that we should keep Him as our focus. When I choose to start my day with Him, my heart is suddenly filled up with His Presence. And my heart begins to sing! My heart music takes over my head music and it keeps me focused on Him and filled with His Presence throughout my day.

I couldn't ask for a better way to spend my day.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow. What a great testimony to the power of God's Word and God's constant care of us. I've had a similar revelation, except it's not songs that I'm hearing, it's Scripture. For some reason, lately, I've just really been drawn to memorize Scripture, something that I've never been very good at. But I find that often Scripture is coming to me, and those verses are really precious. They are so pertinent, too. Isn't it great how God's Word can take such root in us that it presents itself to us over and over through the day, whether through song or verses studied and committed to heart. God is surely faithful.

julie said...

That's beautiful, Amanda. It's a good reminder that I need to get back to my own time with God. It's been way too long. Life tends to take over, but I know it's important.