Monday, February 8, 2010

Notice!

It is with heavy hearts that we post this notice of a death in the family.

Sometime during the night Ann Catherine's fish "Mickey/Goldie" (we were calling "it" Mickey till "it" had babies) went onto that great fish tank in the sky.

As I went to wake Ann Catherine this morning, I turned on the light in the fish tank and noticed that Goldie was laying on the bottom. Right away, I knew that it was dead, since fish are not supposed to lay on the bottom of the tank.

As I woke Ann Catherine and proceeded to break the news to her, I prepared myself to console my tender hearted child. To my surprise, she stated "I want to flush it". I at that moment had a flash back to my childhood watching the fish funeral on "The Cosby Show".

As I removed the fish from the tank, I thought now we are going have a funeral in the bathroom. What was I going to say at the funeral. I thought maybe "Goldie was a kind fish friend and mother", or "she brought such joy to the tank." As I placed her in the toilet and prepared to speak, Ann Catherine said "Bye" Then FLUSH.

Kids never cease to amaze me. So, in honor of the deceased:

4 comments:

Rachel Carpenter said...

Wow. Just wow. Well, at least she wasn't too torn up about it, right?

Amanda said...

She was amazingly calm about it. I'm waiting on the emotional craziness to start tonight, though.

julie said...

Ha! That's pretty funny. But poor little fishie, of course.

Anonymous said...

I agree. They never cease to amaze me, either! I'm glad she wasn't too upset...obviously!

Love,
Mina