Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Ann Catherine's Big Night!
Ann Catherine had a fun-first on Friday. She got to go to her first GA sleepover! And, as her lucky mom, I got to go too!! Actually, it wasn't my first GA sleepover since I used to go when I taught GA's, but that was before Ann Catherine was out of diapers. But, I'm now older and much more tired from my very rambunctious little 20 month old. But we both managed to have fun. We got to hear from a woman who took a mission trip to Brazil and then did activities in the gym (gotta get them tired out so they'll finally go to sleep) and then we did a small mission project by helping prepare bags of supplies needed for our Women's Ministry to put together some teddy bears to give to children in local hospitals. Ann Catherine seemed to have fun although she refused to participate in the games in the gym. Finally, at 10:30 p.m., we loaded the kids up with snacks and rolled out our beds. But the night wasn't over yet! We turned out the lights and watched a movie until 12:30 a.m.!! It was 1:00 a.m. before any of those girls got to bed!! And, believe it or not, Ann Catherine lasted until the end of the movie and even stayed up slightly later watching me chase the 4th & 5th graders who thought they'd escape down a darkened hall. Luckily, that happens every year so I purposefully posted myself next to the door in case any of them tried it since I didn't see any other leaders over there. It was fun and I know Ann Catherine loved her taste of the midnight hour. But, the thing I think the two of us enjoyed the most was just having a good mother-daughter activity without her father or pesky little brother around. I loved just being able to concentrate all my attention on her. What a privilege to enjoy every once in a while. I think next we're going to try a "date" and go paint some pottery (which should be humorous considering I don't have an artistic bone in my body!!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh, what memories it brings back, talking about chasing "escaping" kids down the hall in the middle of the night! Takes me back to our years at Memorial, when Steve and I would take the teens on trips or to camp. It sounds like you and Ann Catherine had a great night. And I think that date thing is great She will love having you all to herself.
I probably shouldn't complain about the escaping kids down the hallway. I remember being one of them every year at Centrifuge!!
Wow, I can't believe that little girl stayed awake so late! No wonder she's not a morning person. It sounds like her disdain for group games is as strong as mine! I'm glad she got some Mommy-time. Painting pottery sounds like so much fun.
Mom said that when she asked Ann Catherine about her big night, the one part Ann Catherine told her about was getting to go into the boys' restroom. Isn't it great that that's the part she was most excited about?
I think that was the favorite part of the evening for all of the girls!! You should have seen the looks on some of their faces when they saw the urinals on the wall!
Did you have to explain what the urinals are for? That could spark a pretty interesting conversation. Just think: you could have had the fun of explaining the differences between male and female anatomy to a group of first graders! Man, wouldn't their mother's be relieved to have you take care of that conversation for them?! :-)
Trust me - I didn't want to get into that conversation with even MY 1st grader. So, I let her giggle and wonder and we moved on. Luckily, she hasn't asked any questions yet.
Post a Comment