Wednesday, June 18, 2008

We're Officially Committed!

According to Brian, we need to be committed. Actually, he said I needed to be committed. He's probably right (but don't tell him I said that).

Anyway, I didn't want to post to argue about who's going to be institutionalized! Nope, I just wanted to make the announcement that it's now official that we HAVE to go to Disney World! Up until now, I've made a thousand plans, purchased and read two Disney books (one of which I found for 99 cents! WhooHoo!), reserved two hotel rooms, reserved a rental van, made my packing list (three pages long), printed off a memory booklet for Ann Catherine to work on every day we're on vacation, and have done lots of online research on finding great deals and insider tips for visiting Disney with kids. However, up until now, we haven't actually committed any money yet (with the exception of my two travel books). Yesterday, we made it official - we bought our tickets. They are on their way to my house. I told Brian NOT to call me until he had finalized the purchased - my heart fluttered every time I thought about how much money we were spending just for DISNEY tickets!!! I could almost make a mortgage payment with that! How do people do this annually or even a couple times a year?!?!

So, anyway, enough with the buyer's remorse. Yesterday it scared me to death. Today, it just makes me even more excited and ready to go! Today, while listening to my kids list the Disney characters they most wanted to see and hearing Ann Catherine proclaim that she was definitely going to be brave enough to hug Minnie Mouse and talk to Mickey Mouse, I am reminded that it's not about the money I'm spending. It's about the memories I am helping my children create. I've done all this planning to help ensure that my children are going to go to the happiest place on earth and enjoy their childhoods. They're going to play and ride rides to their hearts' content. I refuse to let the heat and frustrations from standing in line and having to entertain a 2 year old get the better of my vacation. Even more so, I refuse to let my money concerns engulf me at all on this trip. I have carried enough money concerns for the past ten years to carry me through a lifetime. I absolutely refuse to take any of those concerns with me. From the moment I leave my house to the moment I return, I am going to let go of any fears and concerns and frustrations and will ONLY focus on enjoying my children and the rest of my family, enjoying the excitement and magic of Disney, and enjoying watching my children enjoy their childhood and making beautiful memories filled with a million Disney characters and rides.

I am so ready to go! Now if only I could figure out what else I can do to plan/prepare/keep myself busy and occupied until the time finally gets here!!!

4 comments:

julie said...

Yay! I'm so excited. Even though I probably won't be able to ride the rides, it'll be worth it to see you guys enjoying Disney (especially the kids). It's such a fun place, and it'll be great to be together. Now we just have to kidnap Rachel and make sure she comes, too!

Amanda said...

Amen Sister! Rachel definitely has to come. Our family wouldn't be complete without her!

Unknown said...

I'm doing my best to be there! I so want to see Ann Catherine and Will getting to experience Disney World for the first time! But, you know, there's this little thing called a job that I need to figure out first..

And Amanda, good for you for deciding that you're not going to worry! I'm a perpetual worrier like you, so I totally understand the effort it takes to let go.

Cathy said...

I love it that my girls love each other! I can't wait to see you all. And I agree, it will be so fun watching the kids enjoy Disney...even the big kids!