OK Mom, I have to know...How did you do it? How did you manage to keep our house so clean (with the exception of our rooms of course!)? How did you manage to keep the piles of laundry from slipping out of the hampers and becoming 18 piles on your floor? How did you manage to keep everything fairly clean during the week so all we had to do was mop, dust and sweep on Saturdays? How did you manage to keep from crying when you had finally cleaned one room just to turn around and find out we had destroyed the room next to it? And how did you manage to do all this and still find the time to play games and watch movies with us?
How did you manage to keep from killing us when we asked you the same question OVER and OVER and OVER again - even after you had already answered it a hundred times over (since we apparently never managed to hear or understand a word you said!)? How did you not break down and cry when you had all three of us begging for your attention in 10 different directions? How did you manage not to lose your cool when you had the three of us girls screaming and trying to beat up/kill each other? How did you manage to convince me my bossiness was only leadership qualities as you sat and listened to me boss around my two sisters whom you loved just as dearly?
How did you manage to keep up with not only your own schedule but the rest of the family's as well without totally having us all in the wrong places at the wrong time? How did you manage to juggle being the housekeeper, the babysitter, the cook, the schedule keeper and organizer, the friend to others, the referee, the kind and gentle and loving wife, the patient and loving mother and still not manage to cry yourself to sleep from exhaustion each night?
I was just curious. Not that I struggle with any of this. Of course not me.
By the way, tell Faye Terry I said "Hi" when you call her and read this blog post to her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amen! Our Mom was (and is) awesome. And I know at least one of her secrets: she had a fantastic husband who shared a lot of those duties. The other secret: she's secretly Superwoman.
Oh, my dear, dear daughters, I gratefully accept your accolades and lovingly admit that I couldn't do it all, either. I, too, had my times of tears and frustration and anger and feelings of out-of-controlness (neat word, huh!). But I did and do indeed have a wonderful husband who is more than I could ever deserve. And I always thought (and still do) that our daughters are wonderful, amazing, and incredible gifts from God. You all continue to amaze me with your talents and loving words and actions. And God is good - when we love our children and do the very best we know to do, and when we pray for them and ask for God's help to parent them, they really seem to remember mostly the good things...just like Amanda does. Your own children will, too.
Post a Comment