Monday, October 5, 2009

Change of Plans

After a long conversation with a substitute doctor (since we can't get to our own pediatrician for a couple more weeks), we were basically told that Will has ANOTHER virus. Seriously, if I hear that word one more time, I think I'm going to scream. She did allow me to request more blood work to be done so they did a CBC (to check white blood cells, I believe) and an immunity panel (which eliminates "leukemial issues" according to the doctor). And I'm torn over the results. I WANT to hear that all these are negative because it means it truly is just ANOTHER virus. Then again, I'm sick of the word VIRUS and I'd like to have another word for his multiple illnesses, along with a few healthy doses of some form of medication to make it all go away and to allow my baby to come back.

We're waiting on the results and then we're going to do what we just keep being told to do - wait. We're going to wait for time to allow this illness to go away. And then we're going to try one more thing. We're going to buy some time. After a long conversation and identical thoughts put into mine and Brian's minds at the same time this afternoon, we've decided to temporarily take Will out of daycare. I wish I could be a stay at home mom right now but, financially, it's not an option. So we're going to do the next best thing. We're making arrangements for him to be kept out of daycare for three weeks. I'm not going to give details yet because, honestly, they're not finalized yet. But what we do know is that he will not be taken back to daycare until the week after we get back from Disney. I need time for him to heal from this virus and then we need time for his immune system to build up a little bit. That can only happen with time. And it can only happen away from other people. So we're going to confine him to either our home or to the home of our caretaker and not allow him to go outside other than for fresh air out in the our yards. No playgrounds, no Walmart, no grocery stores. No public areas. Well, one public area. Not much can be done about the Disney trip right now. It's paid in full and, honestly, we need this break for ALL of our sakes. So we're still going on our trip. But with that one exception (where we'll go with our bags loaded with antibacterial gel and wipes), we're not allowing him to be in public. Honestly, it may not work. But if nothing else, it's going to buy us some TIME.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww, poor Will. I hope he gets better. And I think you were smart to ask for some extra tests, just so you don't have to worry about it being something serious. Cuz you know how we worry-warts get...:-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that's working for you to take Will out of daycare for awhile. I wish I could take the next 3 weeks off, but I know you're working out how you'll do this. And it will be good, I think. I hope Will is very healthy during your Disney trip because you all need some relaxed, unworried and unhurried time. We're praying for you all.

Love,
Mom