Well, Willy Wonka managed to not only fall asleep without asking for his paci, but he also slept through the night (which is unusual for him) and didn't ask for it this morning. So now Brian and I are wondering if he can officially be declared "broken" from the paci. If so, I'm thrilled to no longer have to worry about carrying that stupid thing around (not to mention having to remember to hide it from his pediatrician, who would kill us if she knew that we hadn't broken him at age 2 like she told us to!). But if he really is done with it for good, there's just a small piece of me that's a little heartbroken. I guess it was the one last little thing I could hold on to before officially declaring that I have no more babies. It didn't matter that the kid was potty-trained. It didn't matter that he's not really using sippy cups anymore (other than in the car). It didn't matter that he could walk and run and jump like a normal "grown" child. It didn't matter that he's moving up to the preschool hallway at church this Sunday. It was just one little small piece of him that still claimed he was a baby to me. And I'm a little sad to wave that goodbye. No more babies in my house means we're leaving behind one phase and entering another. It doesn't matter that we basically were already in the door and had two arms and a leg already in the big kid door. It's just a little sad to close that door.
Fortunately for my slightly wounded heart, I know that door isn't permanently closed. Someday we might just visit cracking that door open once again. So stay tuned (just not anytime soon - so Mom don't start dancing for joy just yet).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yay, Will! You should treat him to Chuck E. Cheese or something as a celebration for becoming an official big boy! Maybe it would help your hurting heart a bit, too (or just give you a really big headache from all the screaming kids!).
Whether or not you crack open that "baby door" again someday, we're thrilled with the two precious little ones you already have! They are so sweet and wonderful. But we'll still keep bugging you to have more. Ha, ha!
Post a Comment