Monday, June 1, 2009

Cross Your Fingers...And Your Toes

Ok - we're all praying, hoping and crossing our fingers and toes. And you need to do the same. Will may have just given up the paci --- finally!!! However, I underscore the word "may" and I'm totally not getting my hopes up.

Friday night, Will announced to his father that he didn't need his paci anymore. He said only babies need them. And he apparently wanted to donate his paci to the babies at daycare. Saturday at naptime, he never once asked for his paci and fell asleep without it, although he did have a bad coughing fit during his nap (leftover cold) and started begging for it sleepily so he could go back to sleep. Last night, he again announced that he wanted to donate his paci to the babies at daycare. So we tried to go to sleep without it last night but he told his daddy he "needed it." Hopefully only for one last time!

Normally, when we go to daycare, the paci is not allowed in the building. It stays in my car and then I hide it until bedtime. And he's been OK with that. But this morning, I asked if he was going to give it to the babies. He happily said "yes" and marched into the building. You should have seen that little monster. He marched straight into the baby room, threw open the door (which smacked the wall and surprised the baby teacher), announced he wanted to give his paci to the babies and proceeded to hand it to a little boy in there. Luckily, he chose a little boy who didn't use pacis and looked at it like he had no idea what to do with it. He then marched out of that room and headed into his own room. I happily marched with him, got him settled in his room and quietly slipped back into the baby room to get that paci back just in case. (The baby teacher thought this was all hilarious, by the way.)

So now we're crossing our fingers and toes and pleading with God that this will finally work! I've always suspected it would be a matter of willpower for him and no amount of tricks and tips for breaking the paci habit would work for us. We've tried a few but that boy would literally just lay in his bed and scream, cry, beg and plead for hours until you finally gave in. I normally don't like giving in but at midnight when you're trying to keep your daughter asleep and your own eyes will no longer stay open, it's hard to have willpower of your own! But tonight's the night. The night we really test him (or he'll really test us). We already know that when he asks for it, we'll remind him he gave it to a little baby and we'll stick to our guns as long as possible. And then we'll just wait and see who's up at midnight tonight!!

2 comments:

julie said...

Ha, ha, ha! I just laughed so hard picturing determined little Will "donating" his paci to an unsuspecting baby. That boy is full of personality! I hope it works! I feel your pain on the whole "giving in" issue - when your kid's screaming their head off and you're exhausted, too, it's amazing the things we'll give in to! :-) Stay strong! By the way, I once read a tip on getting a toddler to give up their paci. They said to try to "swap" it for something else that's soothing, like a blankie or stuffed animal...or maybe a vacuum cleaner in Will's case! :-) Anyway, good luck. Hopefully we can break Piper of her paci someday too. She's starting spitting it out when she gets really sleepy, so hopefully that means she's getting less dependent on it.

Amanda said...

Nope - the swap didn't work. He wasn't interested. We also tried getting him to throw it away. He was fine through the day and then screamed his way through the night demanding that we go buy him a new one at the store. Haven't tried cutting the tip off it yet but we will someday soon if this doesn't work