Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hopeful

Well, we survived another night. This time we had a harder time getting him to fall asleep. He was determined to get his paci and begged for it for at least an hour. He tried getting out of bed, he tried begging and he tried pleading, and finally, after much cuddling up to him and just laying quietly next to him, he finally drifted off to sleep. Mercifully, he slept through the night. Unfortunately, he woke up again asking for it and even tried to ask me to go get it once we got to daycare. He wanted me to go find it in the baby room. Somehow I managed to get him to change the subject and I escaped.

So now we wait and see what tonight will hold. My guess is that he'll still ask. My hope is that he'll sleep through the night again. And my ultimate dream is that, tomorrow, he'll have lost that desire and will give up on asking.

3 comments:

julie said...

Oh man, he's a stubborn one, isn't he? ;-) Does it help to point out to him that he's already made it through two nights of being a big boy without his paci? I hope it doesn't throw him off on vacation if he sees Piper using her paci (it looks a lot like his - same brand). Should I try to hide it and only use it if he's not around? Or maybe it'll help him to see a "real" baby using a paci - "babies use paci's, big boys don't" type of thing?

Amanda said...

Actually, we've had a couple of conversations with him lately where we'll point out all the big people who don't use pacis and then, somewhere we'll say, "But Piper has a paci," and he'll respond, "Yeah, she's a baby." So he's got the concept down. I wouldn't think you should worry about the hiding the paci on vacation, though. My guess is that, by then, he will have forgotten about it or at least be over the desire for it. Maybe we should, though, try to keep it up out of his reach so he isn't tempted when we're not looking. Hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it.

julie said...

It's the paci thief! :-) Ha, ha. I hadn't thought of him sneaking a suck! That would be kind of funny, actually. However, she's still using the 0-3 month size and that might throw him off. (Did you find it hard to transition him to the next size up? She doesn't like the 3-6 month one; it seems too big for her anyway. It hits her nose.) Anyway, I'm glad you can use Piper as an object lesson. She's pretty handy sometimes.