You see this child here? Seriously, she needs help.
You see, the TV (and therefore the Wii as well) were both banned last week. I won't tell you what she did to get into trouble, but I will say with a clear conscience that the no-TV-for-a-week punishment was her idea!
Anyway, for a week all Brian and I heard was (with a loud sigh), "What can I do?" and "[sigh] There's nothing to do around here." Apparently, the child is paralyzed in her imagination. She honestly believes there is NOTHING to do around our house if the TV is not on. So, seriously, she needs some help.
Of course, this boy needs help too.
You see, he's suffering from an overactive imagination! Just so you know, he thinks he's "Jedediah" from his favorite movie, "Night at the Museum," which he religiously watches four times a day. Of course, the sad thing is that the "gun" in his "holster" actually looks a lot more like the sword "Octavius" wears. But, who am I to argue?
And lastly, I can't leave out the fact that our house needs help too.
Yes, that would be three squirrels "fighting" on our back deck. (We won't talk about what they were REALLY doing.) They provided hours (or more like half an hour) of entertainment for a little boy and girl who thought this might be better than television for a few minutes and a dog who seriously wanted to go play with them. Who needs a zoo when you have this for entertainment in your own back yard?
3 comments:
You need to teach your children to read! Remember how we used to spend hours just reading? Ah, good days. And those squirrels...never mind, I don't even want to know.
Yes, I agree on the reading. We all spent many a lazy summer with our noses stuffed into books. I miss it! Is AC into books at all? Maybe you should implement Mom and Dad's old rule of only one or two hours of TV a day (wasn't it something like that?). I remember wanting to use my hour to watch the Brady Bunch. And then I remember whining about how bored I was once the TV was off! But I usually managed to find something to do - read, play with my stuffed animals, ride my bike, make cookies, etc. I love Will's "gun" - or is it a sword? Anyway, glad to see his imagination isn't suffering.
Unfortunately, the "only two hours of TV rule" doesn't work for me. We get home at 6 pm and they go to bed at 8. So they're only home for 2 hours every night until bedtime anyway. I do cut it off on the weekends, just like Mom would. But not much I can do about weeknights. Unfortunately, AC doesn't like reading nearly as much as we did as kids. I've tried to get her to do it and she'll pick up a book for a while but it doesn't last long. Then she's bored and looking for stuff to do again. Now if I can get her to work on a craft project, she's a happy girl for much longer.
Post a Comment