Monday, August 24, 2009

Celebration!

We had a wonderful time celebrating Brian's birthday on Friday. After a WONDERFUL dinner at Olive Garden, we decided to all go up to our town's tiny little Farmer's Market. I'm not sure you can really call it a Farmer's Market considering that it only consists of two booths with fruits and vegetables. However, it's still a neat little place to walk around since they also have a booth with a lovely couple who laughs every time they see us now because we've become their Friday night regulars. They sell THE BEST salsa I have ever eaten in my life. It's not like any other salsa I've ever had before but it's so good that Brian and I managed to go through an entire jar in two days. So we promised to return every Friday!

Beyond that, they also have a few stands with people selling crafts, homemade soaps and lotions, another salsa booth (haven't tried that one yet, although we really should be equal opportunity salsa tryers), and (believe it or not) a small petting zoo with a billy goat who likes to kneel, a fat bunny, a very skinny calf (he worries me), a couple ducks (or geese -can't really remember), a llama, and the 2nd fattest pig I have ever seen in my life (beat only by the enormous pig at the weird deer farm in Michigan). Anyway, our Farmer's Market is tiny but it's held on the grounds of a coffee shop in a little antique house on Main Street every Friday night where they string up pretty lights and have a local band play music on the front steps of the coffee house. It just makes it so much fun to have that tiny little hometown celebration every Friday night (not to mention the very cheap homegrown veggies and awesome salsa I get to carry home with me every Friday night).

Anyway, after our little Friday night stroll, we decided to finish our birthday celebration with ice cream at our local Cold Stone. We were stuffed full but had a wonderful evening. And, for those of you who are worried about my sweet hubby not getting any presents from his loving family - I finally got a little creative. I wrapped up some old Disney brochures from our trip last summer along with a new brochure we got with this upcoming reservation, and put that with a Mickey coloring book found on the $1 shelf at Target and a small "letter" from the Mouse himself announcing that my sweet hubby had only 56 days left and that Mickey couldn't wait to see him. Brian giggled like a girl when he opened it.

2 comments:

julie said...

Glad Brian's day was good. Sounds like you got lots of yummy food. Jealous! And I want to try that salsa. Sounds great.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you all had a wonderful evening, and that Farmer's Market sounds so special. What fun! (And I love to hear Brian giggle like a girl!!)

Love, Mom