I enjoy watching my kids. More specifically, I enjoy watching my kids use their imaginations. I love watching Will put on Ann Catherine's life vest upside down to turn it into a gun holster (you know, turning his pointy-finger toy into a gun since we don't allow him to have play guns!). I love seeing Ann Catherine playing on the floor with her dolls and trying to figure out the story line running through her mind.
And this weekend, I absolutely loved watching Ann Catherine turn herself into Cinderella with her Cinderella headband (from her 4 year old Cinderella play outfit she can't fit into anymore), her "glass" slippers, and her beautiful, blue princess dress. (Anyone recognize the dress?)
I also loved watching Will empty my laundry basket to turn it into a house for all of his toys as he played on my bedroom floor next to me while I was lying sick in bed. What a joy to watch his mind churning as his toys fought and shot imaginary guns.

One of the things I've learned in my parenting class is to enjoy and celebrate my kids and their imaginations - to let their minds run free and to become a "yes" home where they can explore their imaginations and create their own games and stories and arts. Even if it means more clean-up for me, how rewarding it is to see their minds fill with ideas and to see their excitement as they explore and play with their imaginations running wild. What a way to celebrate childhood.
3 comments:
Awwww, great pics. And I DO recognize that dress, but only from pictures. That was your flower girl dress right? Who's wedding was that for? Anyway, very cute.
I think it was my flower-girl dress for dad's cousin's wedding. Either that or it was for Uncle Jeff's wedding. One of the two. But it was weird to see her wearing it!
I recognize the dress, too! And I can't remember which wedding it was for. You've always loved that dress, and it's so fun seeing Ann Catherine loving it now. By the way, sorry I did't answer this before today. It must have come right around my surgery, and I missed it. I guess when I saw and responded to the newer one, I just missed this. You'll probably miss my reply, too. Sorry, and I hope you know how much I love getting your blogs.
Mom
Post a Comment